Thursday, February 10, 2011

We'll Always Have Paris

This time three years ago, I was beginning to plan my first trip to Paris, France.  A year ago, I was studying modernity and American expatriate writers to prepare for my second trip to Paris.  This year, I'm feeling a little melancholy that I won't be going back anytime soon.  Anyone who has been to France can vouch that it is impossible to leave unchanged.  I swear, the water of the Seine is in these veins (smart girl's a rhymer!) and you'll probably be subjected to lots of French themed ramblings if you decide to stick around.

I was looking through my never ending supplies of Paris photos and was horrified to see some of the outfits I had packed, especially for my first trip.  I mean, look at me.  (I'm on the right)
Okay, so maybe we were just trying on silly hats in a hat shop, but you get the point.  I was a walking, talking American disaster who only knew how to say "I'm a star!" and "Hug me! I speak French!"  I was eighteen and I'm sure someone found me to be precious.  Right.  Anyway, I cleaned up my act before I went back again last year.  I learned all there was about "dressing French" and I put it to good use.  

So as I sit here, reminiscing about Paris, listening to Edith Piaf, and munching on gingersnaps (they aren't French, but they are certainly delicious!), I got to thinking about Paris street fashion and how I wish more people Stateside would take a style note or two from our French friends.  They certainly know how to dress. 

If you're planning a trip to Paris, let me know so I can live vicariously through you.  In exchange, I've compiled a list of what to pack for Paris to help you blend in with the en vogue locals.  And even if you aren't planning a great European adventure, we can all learn a bit from the French.  Let's bring some of their style over here.  I promise it will put a smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment