Wednesday, March 2, 2011

At least I don't want a Grammy...

I met a new friend today in Nashville.  In three months, after the wedding, I will move into fiance's house and start a life where I now know a whopping three people.  Scary, right?  Anyway, I met one of our neighbors today.  I was out in the garden - you know, being domestic and everything - and she came over to introduce herself.  We got to talking, and all was going well until we ended up on the typical "career-path/graduate school" discussion that everyone my age cannot go five minutes without having.

You know how it goes - What are you studying? What do you plan to do?  I braced myself for the skeptical look as I started talking about getting my Masters in English and how I wanted to go on to be an editor somewhere.  The look that says "I can't believe you would waste money going to graduate school for English.  Why not do something serious with your life?"  She actually took it quite well.  I guess an aspiring editor in Nashville is way better than someone trying to be the next Carrie Underwood.
Look at her repping those Sigma letters.  Miss Carrie loves her sorority, and so do I. Sigma love and mine.

It's nice to be in a place where getting a Master's degree in English is not the most frivolous thing one can do with their time and money.  I may spend the rest of my life debating the same books that have been debated for centuries, but at least you'll never see me with big hair, singing bitter songs about my ex-boyfriends.  I think that means I win.  

No comments:

Post a Comment